PETER J. LAEMERS
- Family Law
Peter earned his Juris Doctorate from Seattle University of Law, formerly the University of Puget Sound. After graduating from law school, he returned to New Jersey and received his license to practice law in 1979. Peter's primary area of practice is Family Law and related matters. Over the course of his legal career, Peter has been involved in cases that changed and or modified laws pertaining to alimony, intrastate relocation of a parent with a minor child, and how Social Security benefits can offset pension distributions. Peter was born in and immigrated to the United States in 1964, becoming a resident of Sussex County. Shortly after coming to the United States, Peter entered the U.S. Army where he served his new country proudly and was honorable discharged after three years of active service, including one year in South Korea. Following his service in the U.S. Army and with the assistance of the GI Bill, he attended college and then law school.
Peter is an active member of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Sussex County Bar Association and has attended numerous continuing educational seminars and courses. Peter is also an approved mediator, having completed the mediation program. Peter serves as an Early Settlement Panelist in Sussex and Warren Counties. This program assists litigants in setting contested divorce and post-judgement issues.
Peter has also been the prosecutor for the Frankford Joint Municipal Court for over 26 years.
Our motto is and always will be "we're here for our clients".
- Seattle University of Law, Tacoma, Washington
- Juris Doctorate - 1979
- Montclair State, Montclair, New Jersey
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: Education
- New Jersey, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1979
- Schulze v. Morris, 361 N.J. Super 419, 2003, App. Div.
- In Re Schuman, 114 N.J. 14, 1989, Sup. Ct.
- McGee v. McGee, 277 N.J. Super 1, 1994, App. Div.
- Project Self Sufficiency
- Domestic Abuse Services, Ins. ("DASI")
- Sussex County ESP Program, Panelist
- Legal Services of Northwest Jersey
- Warren County, Early Settlement Panelist
- Panther Lake Travel Trailer
- Delaware River Family Campground
- Kymers Campground
- Newton Trust Co.
- U.S. Army
- Morris Downing & Sherred, Partner, 1979 to 2008
- Frankford Joint Municipal Court, Prosecutor
- Muni. Pros. for Frankford, Lafayette, Branchville,Sandyston & Montague
- Sussex County Bar Association, 1980 to Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
Current Employment Position